Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hovering...

As I sit here watching the Biggest Loser finale, I realize that I have more potential that I'm not tapping into. I've definitely reached a point where I'm complacent and content. There are certain things about that statement that I'm ok with. I think I deserve a certain amount of complacency and contentment. I've lost almost 35 pounds. But, with that complacency comes a little self doubt.

Let me be clear... I don't think the weight is coming back. This running thing has definitely stuck. But, I could definitely lose another 15 pounds and would like to lose another 15 pounds. Not only that, even if I don't lose that 15 pounds, I could be a more fit/muscular 197 pounds.

So.... what does that mean? I'm really not sure right now. I think that it means that I'm a little disappointed with myself. I haven't been eating well... No, scratch that, I've been eating terribly. I eat well (probably too little) all day and then eat way too much when I get home from work. I think I know the answer (bring healthy snacks to work and eat more throughout the day). But, that's a lot of energy and money. Stupid excuses. But, I'm in my last month of finishing my MBA and am stressed and tired. It's just another thing to think about.

Maybe that means that I wait until after the half marathon and class is over and really focus. I know that I can do it. I just don't know that I have the energy to right now. Seems like a plan. I just can't allow "pushing it off until later" to be a recurring theme. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it again.

On a brighter note... I ran over lunch today. It was a pretty darn good tempo run. Here's the stats.

Run recap- 4.98 miles, 43:10, 8:41 pace

3 comments:

stevespeirs said...

Sweet! Great lunchtime run!!

My advice would be don't sweat the weight at the moment. Hey, you've lost 35lbs - that's awesome! Run your Half, get the MBA over and done with, but set a date you'll make a concerted effort to eat better throughout the day and eat less at night.

Not easy to do, but committing to a date might just be the answer.

Enjoy yourself at the moment. Look back at the progress you've made and think big for the future (and I don't mean big in a weighty kind of way).

Sorry for the lecture,

--Steve

Eric Gervase said...

You're right Steve, and it's not preachy at all. Thanks for the support. I just have been sitting on my laurels being comfortable for quite some time now. I feel like making some gains instead of patting myself on the back at this point. But, life is busy and I would probably be better served to focus on it next month.

I think you're right. Since I'm not going to do it right now. I should probably decide on a date and do it. It'll require some thought and energy to plan lunches, snacks and such. But, I think that's what it is going to take.

Nitmos said...

Running and fitness is great in that you have complete control over where you want to take it. It's really not dependent on anything or anybody (outside of the "injury" wildcard).

If you want it, define your plan...write it down...live it but expect it to be hard.

I'm trying to change my diet also and I'm getting there but its been evolving over several months. I'm not giving up.

Rock on! You're on the front slope of the bell curve still with huge improvements still in front of you...if you want it.