Thursday, February 7, 2008

Less is more?



I've really taken to the idea of running 3 days a week. Not only is it good to my feet and keeping me injury free, it feels like it's giving me a little extra boost on my runs. For instance, on Tuesday I did a tempo run and it felt great. I didn't feel like I was running that hard (it was tough, don't get me wrong), but I was totally surprised by the pace I was running at.

Maybe all this 5 day a week training was too much for me at the current fitness/muscle level I'm at. It's tough... Now that I have run the marathon, I have this tendency to think I'm a pro runner or something. But, in reality, I'm just starting year 2 of my running career. Talk about elementary school... jeez. Anyhow, this isn't a long term plan. But, it totally feels like 3 days a week with 2 days of cross training is way better for me then even 4 days a week of running and 1 cross train. I would like to get back to 4 days a week... but not until I feel "ready". Whatever that means.

As for right now... I'm enjoying my runs and happy to be relatively healthy/injury-free. Maybe at some point, I'll feel like pushing a little harder won't be detrimental to my training and health. But, until then, I'm pretty ok with 3 days a week.

5 comments:

Abimars said...

I'm a 3 day a week gal, mainly because of the program I'm on right now but also because I notice I tend to have less injuries when I space out my running.

Eric Gervase said...

Yeah... I've almost always been a 4 day a week guy (even for a majority of C25K). But, with my recent injury problems, I'd rather be running 3 days constantly than running 4-5 days for 3 months at a time until I get injured.

It's a trade-off. I love to run and would run almost every day if my body could take it. But, I think I'm settling in to being a smarter runner.

Tim Wilson said...

Eric, good for you. I think I you have enough of a base now that you will know when and if the time comes to move to more days a week. For now, just enjoy the 3!

RunToTheFinish said...

Heard a lot about training this way, but haven't tried it yet... I think I'm just used to the daily habit.

Eric Gervase said...

I hear you and I probably wouldn't have ever chosen to do this. But, I was forced by my injury. So, now that I am, it's working alright.