Friday, December 21, 2007

I am NOT overtraining...

Us runners are a funny breed aren't we? Probably one of only a few types of people that you have to keep from working too hard. And, the only thing that makes us stop is fear of injury. Well... I think I'm in that place right now. My legs are fatigued... my heel has a weird pain... and I'm terribly irritable. Well, the irritable is kinda normal. But, it's just another sign.

So, having recognized this, I'm putting on the breaks, right? Not exactly. I had planned to run 7 miles tomorrow and I'm really having a problem not fulfilling that plan. My goal is to run my 7 tomorrow morning and then really back off next week (down to 20 miles from 24 this week) without a run longer than 5 miles.

I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight at 10 minute mile pace. I intentionally ran slow because of the aforementioned fatigue and I have 7 in the morning. But, this weight loss plan makes me really want to run. And, the upcoming week is a tough one for the weight loss... I have three days in a row where I will be having a special dinner for the holidays. So, my goal for this week is to maintain my weight and make up for the holiday the following week.

Run recap- 3 miles, 30:00, 10:00 mile pace

2 comments:

Greg On the Run said...

You're smart to stay away from the overtraining.

Try jumping on the treadmill for 30 minutes the afternoon of a holiday party or dinner. Vigorous exercise decreases the appetite and ramps up the metabolism for a few hours. Works for me. Admittedly, it may work especially well because I have an immediate reminder that I don't want or need the extra food and that I don't need the snacks before dinner. I also down a bottle of water on my way to the party.

Eric Gervase said...

Thanks for the idea Greg. I'm sure I will be doing that. I'm going to my extended family for traditional Italian seven fish dinner on Christmas Eve. Then, Christmas dinner with my wife's family. And then, the day after Christmas, dinner with my parents. Ugh. That's a lot of eating. I'm gonna have to do something.