Friday, October 24, 2008

Timed Mile... Again

Justin, Lisa and I went over to the F&M track and ran a timed mile again. We ran a 1.5 mile warmup over to the track and then walked one lap to "mentally prepare". Then... we were off. I was pretty sure that I hadn't pushed it to the limits with my 6:26 mile a couple weeks ago and I knew that having Justin running with me would push me to run faster... And, I was right.

We came through the first quarter in 1:27 (we were shooting for flat 1:35 splits), woops. But, that really evened out in the second lap (just like last time) where I ran a 1:41. The third lap was similar to last time (1:39 v 1:37) and the final lap came in at 1:29 (super fast). Total time... 6:18!!!

So... what did I learn?

1. I ran 8 seconds faster when I had a "rabbit"(Justin) to chase. That's significant.
2. The first and last quarter were REALLY fast. I'm wondering if I should be shooting for more even splits.
3. I'm getting faster... This time last year I ran a 6:49 mile and this year I cut it all the way down to 6:18. 31 seconds on the mile time is a big deal.

5 comments:

stevespeirs said...

That's a huge improvement! Well done...

You'll be sub-6:00 before you know it :)

Enjoy the weekend Speedy...

--Steve

Andrew is getting fit said...

Great improvement indeed!

KristenCHealy said...

Wow, Eric - that's an amazing improvement! Congratulations!

Nitmos said...

Speed work works. It just sucks to do it. Nice job.

Cyberpenguin said...

That's fantastic, Eric! You must feel really great about making such significant improvements.

It's funny that you are so close to F&M. That's about an hour from my hometown! We were practically neighbors! ;-)