Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All wound up about bike commuting...

So, I've spent A LOT of time thinking about bike commuting over the last two days. In fact, I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't get my mind off it. What route am I going to take? What equipment will I need? What am I going to do about a bike? And so on... and so on...

Well, I might have answered one of those questions today. My buddy Jerry (who was in town from Arizona for a couple days) took in some of my ideas on bike commuting. In the process, he realized he had a 10 year old bike that was actually very nice ($1200 nice) when he first bought it. It's just been wasting away in his dad's garage for all that time. So, he gave it to me. I tried to offer him money, but like a true friend, he wouldn't take it. Hint hint... Jerry can expect a nice gift certificate to take his girlfriend out to dinner in the near future. He doesn't know that yet though.

So... it's actually in pretty darn good shape for the amount of time it has sat. I will definitely be taking it in for a tune up and to get some gear that is more commute oriented than fitness oriented (some sort of rack to carry stuff, bike light) as well as the necessary gear (a couple pair of biking shorts). But, other than that, it looks like it is doing alright.

On another topic... I think I've also figured out a way to work it into my schedule more often too. I hadn't considered driving my bike to within 10 miles of work and riding to and from my car and work before and after. That way, I could do a total of 20 miles and not have to do it all at once. I wouldn't waste as much sleeping and I could pull off about 60-100 miles a week this way (not from the start obviously, I'll have to work up to that). At that rate, you will actually start to see some savings (contrary to my original conclusion). At 400 miles a month, you will save over $50. Still not in the realm of "sole reason" to do it. But, $50 is $50.

And finally... I'm not far from doing it. I'm going to try and go to the bike shop tomorrow to drop her off and buy some gear. If all goes well, I might be doing it on Friday morning. How's that for impulsive (I mean motivated). Whatever...

One last thing... I found a very cool bike commuting site that is actually pretty comprehensive if I am striking a nerve with anyone else out there. Check it out, it's called Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips.

2 comments:

Topher said...

Dude, will you quit copying everything I do? First the Garmin, then your profession, and now bike commuting?

I started last week. I live 7 miles from my office, and 5 of those miles are along my running trail which means NO streets to cross for 5 whole miles and I can whiz by the runners. We don't have a shower at work, so once it heats up, i may just have my wife drop me off in the morning and then bike home.

Good luck; it's fun!

Eric Gervase said...

Nice.. we seem to have a lot in common. I can't wait to start. Turns out it takes longer to "tune up" a bike than I thought. I won't have the bike back till next week.